NL Predictions

By Dex
-Dexter Sports
9:55 AM
Dexter-Sports Inbox

How was your weekend? Great, thats good to hear. Mine was full of action not related to our wonderful game. That's ok though, because I have a lot of stuff coming to you today. We have your pick up of the week, we will take a look at the Ray Durham trade, and I might just go a bit prospect on you later in the day.

NL Central Winner: Milwaukee Brewers

This is the hardest division in baseball to predict, because all three teams could run away with the division at any point of the season. With Kerry Wood going down on the DL and the injury prone roster, I don't feel the Cubs will be able to stay healthy all season. For the Cardinals, It could come down to the wire, if their pitching holds up the way it has all season. I like their lineup, minus the fact that it lacks a lot of experience. Down the stretch, that could be a huge factor in their run to the playoffs. The reason I pick the Brewers is simply because their pitching staff is going to be phenomenal down the stretch. If they get bullpen help at the deadline, which seems less likely now that they have made another deal to get Ray Durham. Adding that bat will help immensely. I bet he will have taken the starting job from Rickie Weeks within the next week.

NL East Winner: New York Mets

A week ago I would have been sold on this pick. I wouldn't even have second thought the Phillies. But after what I consider an idiotic trade and the resurgence of the Mets, I went with New York's finest. I know that they haven't been impressive this season, but Omar Minaya is their general manager. That means a deal will get done before the deadline for a hitter, or a pretty good starter. If Carlos Delgado keeps hitting the way he has, Look out Joe Blanton and company. But if Billy Wagner's recent tightness is something serious, the Mets Bullpen becomes downright ugly. Though not many are talking about it, but I think the bullpen search has started in New York.

NL West Winner: Colorado Rockies

Don't think it is possible? All I know is that the whole division is under .500 and the Rockies, I believe, have the best roster in the whole division. Plus, we saw what they did in the second half last season. For the Diamondbacks, it has been hard to win without Dan Haren and Brandon Webb on the mound, and the Dodgers just don't have enough depth to compete in a battle for first place. I like their pitching staff, but the bullpen scares me. I'm not sure if Jonathon Broxton is ready to take the role of closer just yet.

NL Wildcard: Cubs, Cardinals

Is it going to be Albert Pujols and the revived rotation pulling it out? How about Rich Harden and Alfonso Soriano, will they carry the Cubs in the second half? I really don't know which team will pull out of the regular season, but I can pretty much guarantee that the Wildcard team will be a central team. I like the Cubs more, because they have a lot of depth. But the Derrick Lees, Kerry Woods and Rich Hardens of this team, that could be hurt anytime really scare me.

NL Rookie of the Year: Geovany Soto

To be honest, there isn't anyone else that even comes close to the production of Soto in the nl rookie class of 08. He was the first rookie catcher to start in the ALL-Star game, and the first non Japanese rookie to even start in the game. He is on a pace that could become the best rookie season of any catcher ever in the bigs.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?