Second Half Predictions

By Dex
-Dexter Sports
2:40 PM
Dexter-Sports Inbox

Good Afternoon. I hope your weekend is going well. Well, as you have been made aware, the second half is well underway, and we have had some great baseball already.

Unlike some analysts of this wonderful game, I can at least say that my major league world series picks are still alive. In fact, if the Detroit Tigers get on a role, The Brewers and Tigers is not out of the question. Especially if C.C. pitches as well as he did last night. I'm excited to see the second half unfold. Ok, enough small talk, let's get right to the predictions.

AL Central Winner: Chicago White Sox

It is hard to believe that the team that could not score last year, will be able to pull out the tough AL Central, but I believe they have the best all around pitching in the American League. As much as I hate their offensive production, I think it is going to be enough to hold on to the central crown. I don't think they will have much playoff success though, because matched up against the Angels or any of the east teams, I don't think their hitting will match up to opponent pitching very well. It will be a close one, but they will squeak out the Tigers.

AL East Winner: Boston Red Sox

As much as my heart tells me those fighting Rays, those little devils would be able to pull it off, My mind keeps hitting me with the reality. The lineup is not producing, the bullpen has a history of falling apart, and oh yah, The Red Sox are yet to play their best baseball. And guess who is right over the Horizon. Big Papi. I think the combination of his presence and the pitching staff coming together will leave the Rays and Yanks in the dust. Don't be fooled though, My heart will still be cheering for the little guy. And if my prediction is wrong, I wont be surprised. You should always go with your heart....(Are you listening Rays, I'm counting on you!)

AL West Winner: Anaheim Angels

Wait, is this a prediction? Or is it a guarantee? I could almost surely tell you that this team is in. As a matter of fact, this team impresses me more than any of the great Angels teams of this decade, including the 2002 team. The pitching is beyond phenomenal, and though I'm not sold on the lineup, I think it's young spark could be a great thing down the stretch. Wouldn't it be a great story if say, Brandon Wood could make a difference down the stretch. Stay tuned, this rotation is the most exciting in major league baseball.

AL Wildcard: Tigers, Twins or Rays

I know this is backing out of a prediction, but come on? Who really knows what will happen. I really like the Twins chances, especially with Lariano returning to the rotation sometime soon. I also like the idea that Delmon Young and the gang hasn't produced like they can, and we could see a whole different offense in the second half.

The Tigers scare me, because their pitching depth is lacking. It will take another arm to stay in this race and I don't think the Tigers are thinking move. Then again, if Gary Sheffield tears the cover off the ball and Edgar Renteria gets on track, this offense could pick up the slack. I haven't sold out on the Tigers chances all season, but I am as close now, as I was when they were 10 under .500.

For the Rays, I think its going to take a run much like the Rockies of 2007. In the division that they are in, that could be really tough to do. If it does happen, Evan Longoria will be the rookie of the year, Brian Fuentes will be either holding or closing games, and another big bat will step up. That is asking for a lot to happen. I will not count them out though.

AL Rookie of the Year: Evan Longoria, 3B Rays

Why? Because I have a feeling he is going to put the Rays offense on his back and carry them to at least a solid winning record in the tough AL east. Believe it or not, I was sold on this kid's swing in the home run derby. I think he has what it takes right now, to be consistent. If he is, Rays are playoff bound. No question.

Player Destined to Stick in the Majors: Denard Span, OF Minnesota Twins

This Season, it has been a great story to see Denard finally stick at the Major League Level. His speed, undoubtedly makes him a threat, and he finally has a good handle on the stick. Honestly, I would think about keeping in the lineup everyday, alternating throughout. He has been getting on base easily and adds more great speed to an already fast team. Though it might not be the Twins next season, I am pretty sure that Span has reached the ultimate span of time of playing minor league ball.

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?