Category: , By Dex
-Dexter Sports
11:56 PM
Dexter-Sports Inbox

This week's prospect profile, We will look at yet another Athletic arm.

For Sean Doolittle, hitting and pitching are both natural. Entering the 2007 draft, Doolittle was heralded as one of the best two way prospects. Many thought that his arm was his ticket to success in the majors, but yet again, the unconventional Billy Beane is proving most scouts wrong. In his short professional career, Doolittle is raking at the plate, and becoming a solid force in the outfield and at first base.

Drafted in the supplementary round of the draft, The A's reached a bit to obtain Doolittle, but it seems to be paying off. With HiA Stockton this year, Doolittle hit .305 with 18 long balls and 61 RBIs. But like many young talented prospects, Doolittle has been known to strike out way too much. In 86 games with the Stockton club, Doolittle had 99 strikeouts.

Now with the AA Midland Rockhounds, Doolittles success has slipped a bit. In 18 games, he is hitting .230, with 2 homers and again a high total of strikeouts. 19 of them in 18 games. But with experience, this issue can be erased.

"I’ve got to stop striking out I guess," said Doolittle. "I guess that’s one thing, but I think that’s coming. It’s a little bit of a byproduct of the more aggressive approach I’ve been taking. I feel like when I was in school I was a little bit more selective of everything. Now I’m really going up there trying to drive the ball and do some damage. Maybe I’m fouling off a pitch here and there early in the count and I’m falling behind and stuff. It’s not something that I’m really worried about, but right now if I had to say there’s an adjustment offensively, that would be probably the biggest thing."

At AA Midland, the lefty has settled in nicely at first base. Doolittle could be the future at the hot corner if Daric Barton doesn't pan out. With him and power hitting Chris Carter inching closer to the big leagues, the future of the A's offense looks spectacular.

Throw in probably the best pitching depth in the major leagues, and you have to believe that this team will be really good in years to come.

(quote taken from the baseball america prospect blog)
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?