Around The Horn: Boone, Bonds, and Draft Updates

Category: By Dex
-Dexter Sports
12:48 PM
Dexter-Sports Inbox

What a beautiful day! At least where I'm sitting. If I were Ed Wade, my view might be a little bit different. Heck, my view might be distorted. I might be a bit traumatized with a combination of depression. My team is 13 games back and 3-7 in the last ten. My pitching downright SUCKS. It's so bad, I have pitchers with a 5.06 ERA hatin'. Good thing I signed my boy Reggie Abercrombie to back up my ass.

Anyways, There are more important things to talk about this what I believe to be wonderful afternoon. LET'S GO AROUND THE HORN!

News and Notes:

  • Aaron Boone became the fourth Boone to collect 1000 hits in a career last night. Boone, currently a National, joined his grandfather Ray (1,260), his father Bob (1,838) and his brother Bret (1,775) in reaching the milestone. This has me wondering if the Boone bloodline is still running strong. Of Course it is. As now grandfather Bob Boone put it, "I have four grandsons, I expect they won't be telling their fathers they want to play piano and not baseball."
  • Barry Bonds' agent has told the media today that Barry Bonds has no interest in playing Independent ball this season. NEWSFLASH: Guess what? Nobody has interest in you at the major league level buddy! You know what, maybe Bonds should consider Independent league ball. He would fit right in with some of the non-sense. Though i throw these harsh comments about Bonds, I still have a feeling that some team will take a chance on him around July 31st. Hopefully it will be the Yankees, so Suzyn Waldman can get all excited about Barry coming back.
  • Ex Brave Jerry Royster will become the first American to manage in South Korea. Royster got the job through current Japanese manager Bobby Valentine. There will be a few adjustments for Royster, such as the 12 inning tie game rule in Korean baseball, but it should be interesting to see if Royster can have success. Royster managed the Brewers in 2002.
  • Seattle's best pitcher a year ago should be heading to the DL anytime soon. Miguel Bautista, who has been battling back pain all year, had this to say after last night's game:
  • "This is frustrating. It's embarrassing. I'm supposed to be helping the team win, but the way I'm pitching, it's not helping. I have to make sure I get myself healthy before I go out there again, because I'm the only guy trying to pitch through it. Everybody else, every time they feel pain, they go on the DL, or they take a rest, and I haven't."
  • Everyone is talking about Joba Chamberlain's conversion from reliever to starter, but what about Chicago's Ryan Dempster? After getting 85 saves the last three years, Dempster went through a tough workout this off-season. Here is the difference. Dempster has previous experience starting ball games. I think it has been a huge reason why Ryan started off so well.
  • Chipper Jones keeps killing it. My gosh, this man is on a tear. The best part for Braves fans and fans in general for that matter is that Chipper is actually healthy.
"It's been great to go out and do some things I was doing in my late 20s and early 30s before I had this rash of injuries.Yeah, to have all of your faculties, you're able to do things that come naturally to you."


Draft Notes:

  • Destin Hood, the Nationals' second round pick out of Alabama made a trip to the capital yesterday to discuss signing. Hood, who could opt to play football for Alabama, toured the capital, as well as nationals park. Hood participated in team batting practice as the Nationals tried to swing him towards professional baseball.


 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?