News and Notes: Sexson is a Yankee, Blanton a Phillie

Category: By Dex
-Dexter Sports
12:01 AM
Dexter-Sports Inbox

Well, It has been a busy night around baseball. First and Foremost, Billy Beane is at it again. The Phillies have acquired Joe Blanton for three minor leaguers. No, The Phillies didn't give up Carlos Carrasco, but they did give up talented infielder Adrian Cardenas, whom i think will ultimately be in Oakland's top ten prospect list.

I think this is a bad deal for the Phillies, I mean Joe Blanton, come on. His ERA is in the sixes the last 5 or so starts, and all he can do is eat innings. To me, this deal is like trading for Carlos Silva. As much as Beane loves Joe Blanton (read Moneyball people) this deal will turn out to be good for him. I will have a better update of the prospects in the deal tomorrow for you.

And in other news on the night, the Yankees made a great move in my opinion, signing Richie Sexson to a deal today, after he was released by the Mariners. Sexson can at least still hit lefties and if he can find his stroke, this will spark the offense immensely. No harm, no foul also in this situation. I wonder if he will play some outfield as well, I really doubt it though. It would be exciting to see if the Yanks can get back into the hunt.
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?